Buckmiller Brothers Funeral Home first opened it’s doors to our beloved community in 1934 by, funeral directors and brothers, Paul and Louis at 14 Park Place, Naugatuck. With their mother, Mary’s, support in 1938 they built a brand new facility at the corner of Meadow Street and Park Place. They were very innovative for their time and focused on providing excellent service for the families of Naugatuck.
It wasn’t until Louis, the father of Terry and Wayne, passed away unexpectedly in 1949 at 34 years young, that the personal home of Louis and Ethel Buckmiller on 82 Fairview Avenue was renovated into a funeral home and the downtown funeral home building was sold. The former funeral home building is still there today and occupied by a local insurance company.
Over the years many renovations were made and several additions continued the transformation into the beautiful place that we still call a home. We continue to make renovations to ensure that our home is comfortable, serene and up to date.
In 1962 & 1972, Terry and Wayne Buckmiller, respectively, joined their uncle Paul in the family business.
In 1984, they expanded into Prospect, and were fortunate to operate there for 30 years, until the property was sold to a commercial developer and turned into a CVS Pharmacy.
After almost 80 years of the Buckmiller family serving the greater Naugatuck community and its surrounding cities and towns, they proudly entrusted the future of the funeral home to the Thurston and Mengacci families in July of 2014. It is their opinion that a better match to serve this community could not have been found. The Thurston and Mengacci families transcend generations in our community and we will continue to provide exceptional service to the families we are privileged to serve.
It's hard to know what to say when someone experiences loss. Our free weekly newsletter provides insights, quotes and messages on how to help during the first year.